Madhva

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Tue Dec 21 12:27:03 UTC 1999

>As for the cruelty arguments being a projection of human sentiments onto
>God, as far as I can recall the argument (and I don't have the source,
>here) the point seemed to be that the theists *themselves* consider God to
>be compassionate and equanimous -- ie not cruel (theists certainly assign
>*positive* human sentiments to the Godhead).  Accordingly, since this is
>the theistic premise, how can the jiva be suffering in samsara?  If Isvara
>decided to put it there, how can he be considered compassionate?  And if
>jiva put itself there, from whence the original act of karma, etc, etc?

I don't know if this is the source you have in mind, but the question of
Brahman's/Isvara's cruelty and partiality is raised in Brahmasutra
2.1.34-35, and the charge refuted precisely on the grounds of the
beginninglessness of karman. In other words, there is no 'original act'. (I
do not have Madhva's bhashya at hand, but at least Ramanuja and Baladeva
both agree on this point.)

Regards,
Martin Gansten