(Fwd) Chess game

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at MATH.KU.DK
Wed Dec 15 15:53:50 UTC 1999

Dear Indology members,

I was cleaning my things yesterday and found my father's old
chessboard.  In this regard I was curious about one thing.  The
chess game is said to originate in India and have reached Europe
through Persia and Arabia.  I believe that in Hindu traditions the
woman stands on the left side of the man.  In chess this is the
case for the white king and queen (the white queen stands on the
left side of the white king), however on the side of the black party
the queen stands on the right side of the king contrary to the
tradition mentioned above.  Does anyone know if there is some
significance to this?

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen