Visitor in 1790 A.D.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 14:53:21 UTC 1999

Arthur & Usha Helweg, An immigrant success story, East Indians
in America, Univ. of Pennsylvania press, 1990
Ch. 3, East Indians come to America (1790-1965),
The Early years
" A colonial diary from the year 1790 provides the first account
of an East Indian in America; it records the visit of a man from
Madras to Salem, Massachusetts. He had come to America with a colonial
sea captain and with a desire to expand trade between New England,
Britain and South Asia. The number of East Indians that followed was
not great. Only six Asian Indians participated in Salem's 1851
Fourth of July celebrations, which were sponsored by the East Indian
Marine Society."

Would like to know about the sources and writings about
the Indian who was seen in 1790 A.D. in Massachusetts.
I have read his name as Malayappan (I think)
from Arthur Pais, "Indian Diaspora", India Abroad newspaper,
XiX.48, Sept. 1, 1989. Are there any more data
somewhere else?, for example in:
S. Chandrasekhar, 1982, From India to America, La Jolla, Ca.
J. M. Jensen, 1988, Passage from India
Jane Singh et al.,  South Asians in America. 1988 etc.,

Thanks for info or references,
N. Ganesan