.sa.s.titantra

Bruno Lo Turco b.loturco at AGORA.STM.IT
Sun Dec 12 22:10:19 UTC 1999

Dear members of the list,
What do we know about the .sa.s.titantra? As far as I
remember, it is supposed to be the oldest systematic
exposition of sA.mkhya. The last stanza of the
sA.mkhyakArikA presents this work as a summary of the
.sa.s.titantra which leaves out all the didactic tales,
together with the controversies with other schools. But
according to vAcaspatimizra, the .sa.s.titantra is not a
work, but a scheme composed of sixty arguments. Do we have
any evidence of this?

Bruno Lo Turco
Universita' di Roma  'La Sapienza'