dakinis

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Dec 11 00:58:08 UTC 1999

Venkataram Iyer wrote:
>     Apart from the Daakini of Cilappathikaram, consideration
>     can be given that the following words can arise naturally from
>     the sounds of drums. Not necessarily any particular language
>     group!
Yes, of course many languages have onomatopoeic words like the ones I
gave for drumming.  However, do these words also have apparent
cognates with the meaning of "shaman"/"witch" etc ?   Certainly,
viewed from the Buddhist tantric tradition, there is a close
connection between .daakiniis and drums, specifically, .damaru made of
cranial hemispheres.  The form of the word .daakinii does not suggest
a Sanskrit derivation so I am trying to establish a reasonable
hypothesis for the actual source of the word -- it doesn't matter to
me whether it is Dravidian or Munda, although the latter would fit in
with other observations one can make about the history and use of the
word.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge