bones and flesh

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Fri Dec 10 01:16:53 UTC 1999

My thanks to PK Manansala for articulating his position with regard to
Hubey's mathermatical linguistics, as well as  for pointing out his interest
in Greenberg and Ruhlen, et al.

At this point, I will have to withdraw from the discussion, since I have
little interest in the kind of linguistics performed by such scholars.  While
I do have some interest in Nostratic theory and long range comparisins, I
confess that, almost as much as PKM distrusts my motives as an Indologist, I
distrust the methods of scholars who rely more on word-lists and
dictionary-searches than on actual knowledge of the relevant languages.

Vishal Agarwal and Koenrad Elst may dislike what I say about the Rgveda, but
it cannot be denied that at least I pay attention to it.  In fact, I take
great pleasure in studying that text, and in wrestling with the difficulties
which it presents to our understanding.

In short, I prefer philology.

Best wishes,

George Thompson