Brahmins and Dalits (was : Jnanasambandar:)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at KABELFOON.NL
Wed Dec 8 20:34:40 UTC 1999

nanda chandran wrote:

> >'Brahmin Gold' by Prof. Shankar Nadar
>
> Samar please give it a rest. All this Dalitstan stuff is just politically
> motivated and is devoid of any historical or factual value. It just aims to
> shock readers with its preposterous allegations.
>
> For a good background on Dalits and other backward castes - what they were
> and what lead to their present condition - economic and social, read
> Kosambi's works on Indian history. And it can hardly be labelled as biased,
> as the author himself is a Marxist historian.

Good example of an argument ad verecundiam. The author maybe okay, but
this doesn't make his book the final word. BTW Good old Periyar was
politically motivated and no marxist, but I still think his observations
are valuable, because of his sound common sense.