Jnanasambandar: Nanda Chandran's question

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Wed Dec 8 21:40:53 UTC 1999

Rajarshi Banerjee wrote:

> In mordern India dalits have had a late start as far as education is
> concerned and also have traditionally been poor. Brahmins in comparision
> have had a head start.

And are traditionally wealthier than most other castes.

The question is does caste exploitation have anything to with this?
I would say the answer is resoundingly, yes. The fact that brahmins
do not directly exploit dalits does not mean they have no part in
this exploitation.  In fact, they benefit indirectly from this
exploitation by their position in the modoern caste hierarchy, which
they were instrumental in formulating.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--