Brahmins and Dalits (was : Jnanasambandar:)

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Wed Dec 8 05:11:17 UTC 1999

There is fierce competition and a lot of pressure in India to do well. But
that alone is not enough to explain why a lot of Indians are so neurotic
about education. One can see other examples of poor people in other
societies who have better access to a good education but are not as inclined
to pursue it. I think it helps to have a section of people who are respected
for their learning and not wealth or power. Its not that brahmans are the
sole custodians of knowledge but atleast they are a symbol that learning
matters. Old habits and instincts carry on and act as examples to others.

Having lived in hostels in universities in India, I have often seen kids
from uneducated families excel.

Westerners tend to get a wierd view of the caste system not having
experienced it themselves. An educated person in India regardless of caste
feels very empowered whereas an illiterate person is extremely diffident and
meek. I have seen brahmans servants who will only sit on the floor of his
employers house, while his educated son will confidently walk in and use the
telephone.

Anyway I guess I am straying from the usual topics discussed on this list.