Mon-Khmer word order

John Peterson John.Peterson at GERMANISTIK.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Sat Dec 4 14:40:00 UTC 1999

As far as I know, the Munda languages are all relatively rigidly
verb-final, such as e.g. Santali. In the texts in this language which I
have so far analyzed, the verb is virtually always the last element of the
sentence (assuming for now that the 'verb' should be taken to mean that
sentence element carrying TAM-marking - cf. D.N.S. Bhat's book on
adjectives for more information on that topic).

Of course, as with most verb-final languages, the verb presumably CAN be
moved around in the sentence somewhat for pragmatic reasons.

To my knowledge (unfortunately, I don't have any books at hand to check
this), Khasi is a V2 (or verb-second) language. Can anyone out there
confirm this?

John

John Peterson
Cross-Linguistic Reference Grammar Project
Institut für Deutsche Philologie
Schellingstr. 3
D-80799 Munich
Germany     Email:  John.Peterson at germanistik.uni-muenchen.de