paladai

Chouhan Electronic Informatics P Ltd. chouhan at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Dec 3 15:45:35 UTC 1999

Paladai is a tamil word meaning a feeding cup from very ancient days.
"Pal" meaning milk, "adai" the vessel/cup.
In India, the bottle was never used until recent influxion of the western
culture.
The reason was very clear - Hygiene.
Science finally proved that the feeding bottle is unhygienic.
The paladai looks like an oyster shell wide mouth and a narrow pout at one
end to enable free flow without spillage. I wish I can draw a picture for you.
Throughout the southern languages there are names for this like UGGU-Ginni
in telugu, Thottu in Kannada etc.
Dr. R.S.Chouhan