[Age of the Veda ...]

S.Kalyanaraman kalyan99 at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Dec 1 09:15:08 UTC 1999

Ulrike Niklas <sasun at NUS.EDU.SG> wrote: I just put the question
> to this list: how are the oldest parts of Vedic literature dated nowadays?

As you would have guessed by now, the state of knowledge nowadays is as
confused as it was, say, in Max Mueller's time and continues to be riddled
with hypotheses.

However, the following URL may be of help to you with an excellent summary
(and bibliographical notes) of Dr. Huben, on the state of the art in confused
evaluation of dates without archaeological evidence of movements of people or
languages and without palaeographic evidence (I mean, epigraphs) of PIE...
Your guess will be as good as anyone else's...

http:/sarasvati.simplenet.com/resources/Indoaryanproblem.htm

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman