Indian Calendar Astronomical Data

Richard Lasseigne rlass at SLIP.NET
Sun Aug 1 17:37:19 UTC 1999

Following are several sources that may be of interest to you.

<bold>Calendrical Calculations

</bold>Presents in a completely algorithmic form, a description of
fourteen calendars including the Hindu lunar. This is a very good
resource for programmers and includes B Lisp source code.

Dershowitz and Reingold

Cambridge University Press

===

<bold>World Calendar

</bold>A shareware application (license may be purchased for $10) based
on the algorithems contained in Calendrical Calculations. It is
available for both Macintosh and Windows from
<underline>http://www.pandawave.com</underline>

===

<bold>Panditji

</bold>A commercial DOS application (license may be purchased for $100)
that can be run under Windows95/98. Contains a daily and monthly
almanic calendar (tithis, nakshatra, etc.) adjusted to the user's
location for any date from 470BC to 9999. Avaliable from
http://members.aol.com/rgopalan/panchang.html

==========================

>     I had to make a list of the dates of the Indian Lunar holidays
for the

>year 2000.  Because I was unable to find either a panchanga or lunar

>calendar for year 2000 I had to derive the start and end dates of the
tithis

>from astronomical data.  This I did from the Nasa JPL web site at

>http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.html .  It was quite easy but
tedious.

>I.e. extracting the longtitudes of the sun and moon wrt the ecliptic
for

>each hour of year 2000, and pasting the data into an excel spreadsheet
and

>deriving the phase angle and tithi from this.  But after doing this
it

>occured to me that a much easier way of doing this would be to work
directly

>with the formulas for deriving the longtitudes of the sun and the moon
and

>that this is probably available in an Indian source somewhere with all
the

>constants necessary for Indian calendar calculations.

>     Do any of the list members know either these formulas (preferably
with

>the constants and degree of accuracy appropriate for the tithi
derivation)

>or a source where I can get them either in the USA or in India?  Also

>understand there is an "Indian Astronomical Ephemeris" and a Report
from the

>Committee for Calendar Reform (1957).  Does anyone know where I can
get