Trilingual inscription from Sri Lanka

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 22 15:11:59 UTC 1999

 I found this interesting post from Religion in South Asia arcives (RISA-L).
 Paranavitana's editing may be dated. If you answer to Indology or to
 Dr. Leslie C. Orr (orr at vax2.concordia.ca),
 please send me a copy of the reply also. SM

    * Subject: trilingual inscription from Sri Lanka
    * From: ORR at vax2.concordia.ca
    * Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998

 Dear Colleagues--
         I have just come across an inscription, published in Epigraphia
 Zeylanica, vol 3 (1928-33), called the "Galle Trilingual Slab" which was
 discovered in Galle in 1911.  It records the gift of gold, silver, cloth,
 etc. for worship, and is written in Tamil, Persian, and Chinese.  The
 epigraphist (S. Paranavitana), along with earlier interpreters, regards
 the object of worship is being different in the case of each of the three
 records (a Hindu deity, a Muslim saint, and the Buddha, respectively),
 but this seems to me highly unlikely.
         I wonder if any of you know whether further examinations of this
 inscription have been made since the time of its publication in EZ, or
 whether further scholarship on the religious context of Sri Lanka in
 the period of the inscription (c. 1400 AD) might illuminate its
 significance.
         Thank you for any suggestions or information you may have.
                         Best wishes             --Leslie Orr
                                                 Dept. of Religion
                                                 Concordia University
                                                 Montreal, Quebec