Bhakti etc.

Yaroslav V. Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Thu Apr 15 05:08:16 UTC 1999

Many thanks to Harry Spier (I overlooked van Buitenen's note) and Mikhael
Witzel (I have Minoru Hara's article; will you kindly check about Hacker?).
I have found very useful information on *bhagavat* and related words in:

E. Washburn Hopkins. The Epic Use of bhagavat and bhakti. JRAS, 1911, pt. 2,
pp. 727-738 (exhaustive and especially important),
M.Dhavamony. Love of God according to Saiva Siddhanta. Oxford, 1971 (esp. pp.
13-14),
The Bhagavad-Gita  with a commentary based on the original sources by
R.C.Zaehner. Oxford Un. Press, 1969, p. 181 (the analysis of the semantics
of bhaj- and bhakti was done for R.C.Zaehner by Fr.M Dhavamony).
        Best regards,
                                        Yaroslav Vassilkov
______________________________

Yaroslav V.Vassilkov, Ph.D.
Department of South and SE Asian Studies
Institute of Oriental Studies
Dvortsovaya nab., 18,
St Petersburg, 191186,
Russia