History of Debate

Ferenc Ruzsa f_ruzsa at ISIS.ELTE.HU
Wed Apr 14 13:12:10 UTC 1999

Nanda Chandran wrote:
>>M. J. Takakusu: La sAMkhyakArikA etudiee a la lumiere de sa version
>>chinoise. in: Bulletin de l'Ecole Francaise d'Extreme-Orient. Tome IV.,
>>1904. pp. 1-65 & 978-1063, esp. pp. 37-49.
>
>With my level of proficiency in French, I doubt if I'll make much
>headway with that :-) Anyway thanks for the reference.

Dear Nanda,

according to Karl H. Potter's Bibliography (in Encyclopedia of Indian
Philosophies, Vol. I) there is an English translation by S. Suryanarayana
Sastri that appeared in: Madras University Department of Indian Philosophy
Publication 1 (1933), and also: Journal of the Madras University 4 (1932),
Supplement; 5 (1933) pp. 81-114

>Isn't it strange that such a famous exponent of a leading school
>of philosophy, has no other references in Indian literature?

No, it's not: it is the rule. As a matter of fact we don't really *know*
anything about kAlidAsa himself.

Yours, Ferenc