Laxmi & Saraswati

Dr. Nupam Mahajan nupam at MED.UNC.EDU
Wed Apr 14 16:10:00 UTC 1999

> As to the  device, of Kumaragupta I's gold coins, showing a
> goddess standing on a makara (which is not the same as a crocodile,
> but rather its mythic nephew with at least one elephant among its
> ancestors): quite a few sculptures in stone and terracotta from the

Let me thank Drs. Vidyasankar and Ganesan for bringing up this topic
and of course Ellen, who knew it all along (I missed her earlier
response). Ellen, my coin (shown on webpage) does not have Makara
visible, it almost entirely out of flan. Can you tell me a reference
where a photograph of coin is shown and atleast a part of Makara
is visible? Alternately, if you have any such photograph, I would
be glad to receive a copy of it.

Best wishes,

Nupam

Dr. Nupam Mahajan, Ph.D.,FRNS