Laxmi & Saraswati

Ellen M. Raven ellraven at WXS.NL
Tue Apr 13 10:32:56 UTC 1999

[As this issue was on the Indology list some time ago, I run the risk
of repeating earlier responses; if so, my apologies].

As to the  device, of Kumaragupta I's gold coins, showing a
goddess standing on a makara (which is not the same as a crocodile,
but rather its mythic nephew with at least one elephant among its
ancestors): quite a few sculptures in stone and terracotta from the
same period show (by their context) that this deity represents not
Lakshmi but the river goddess Ganga.

The motif of feeding peacock is in fact familiar from several
coin types of  Kumaragupta I, not only the Tiger-slayer coins. It
is also found on particular varieties of the Horseman Type, and on
the rare Elephantrider-Lionslayer Type.  It seems like an additional
device, a variation of the usual device of goddess on reverse
holding attributes.

Instead of holding something (a diadem fillet) or distributing
coins, she feeds a peacock. It is unlikely that the peacock was ever
intended as an identifying attribute for the goddess.

That the bird is indeed a peacock is quite clear from those designs
for these coins (they come in many dies), where you can still clearly
see the tuft feathers on the crown of the bird's head, and/or its
raised tail, sometimes also with distinctly drawn peacock feathers
(so-called fan-tailed peacock sub-variety, see catalogue of the
Bharat Kala Bhavan collection no. 163). In most coins the tail
feathers are off the flan.

The particular interest, especially in Kumaragupta's reign, in coin
devices with a peacock (sometimes with the king, sometimes with the
goddess, sometimes as vehicle of Karttikeya) is indeed a striking
phenomenon which deserves its own comments.

With regards,

Ellen Raven
IIAS/Kern Institute, Leiden University