The elephant naLagiri/nalagiri

Roland Steiner Steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Fri Apr 9 14:55:01 UTC 1999

On 9 Apr 99, at 13:22, Rolf Koch wrote:

> of course I mean "roaring" not "boaring"
I must apologize for having copied the typing error by inadvertence.

> examples for "d" to "l" transformation (sometimes with "L" and "D") are
> kalamba = Skt. kadamba duvAlasa = Skt. dvAdaZa nullai = Skt. nudati, etc.
> see Pischel, Grammatik der Prakrit-Sprachen, §§ 244seq.

These examples have to be judged separately.
-- Pkt. kalamba seems to be derived from Skt. ka.damba > Tam.
ka.tampu, Kan. ka.damba, etc. (cf. Turner CDIAL No. 2710; Mayrhofer
`Kurzgefasstes etymologisches Woerterbuch des Altindischen´ i
144, s.v.). Cf. also Pkt. kaamba > Skt. kadamba.
-- Pkt. duvaalasa (Skt. dvaada"sa). In Pali representation of d by r
(through .d) is quite common in the compound numerals with dasa
`ten´ (e.g. ekaarasa `eleven´ beside ekaadasa; baarasa `twelve´ [dv-
> b-), cf. Geiger § 43.1. According to the following § 44, a secondary r
originating from d alternates with l in telasa/terasa `thirteen´.
-- According to Mayrhofer ("Etymologisches Woerterbuch des
Altindischen" ii 58, s.v.) the etymology of Skt. nod "to push" is "not
clear". Cf. also lu.dati `stirs´, nu.dati `strikes" (CDIAL No. 11080).

Be that as it may, in the general development of Indo-Aryan
intervocalic -d- of the early Middle Indian stage (Pali) does not
remain (except in European Gypsy and Kalaa"sa which keep -t- and -
d- as l; cf. R.L. Turner, `Collected Papers 1912-1973´, p. 239;
moreover, in his commentary to Gaandhaarii Dharmapada 330,
Brough considers a `sporadic appearance of -l- for intervocalic -d- < -
t-´ for the Gaandhaarii), whereas -.d- regularly becomes -.l-.

On 9 Apr 99, at 14:50, Georg von Simson wrote:

> As for Nala and reed: reed may have a sexual connotation (like
> daNDa).
See also Heinrich Lueders (Philologica Indica, p. 555), who
compares the old king's name Nala (according to him originally
"cane" [still Na.da in "SB. 2,3,2,1.2]; cf. naa.dii, naala, nalina, etc.)
with names like Ve.nu etc.

Regards,
Roland Steiner