Question on Chinese folk novels

Narayan S. Raja raja at IFA.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Sep 29 04:39:46 UTC 1998

> From:    "N. Ganesan" <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM>
>
> Heard that Chinese folktales telling that
> Hsuan-tsang took Potalaka from South India and deposited it
> in Western China. I am curious to find where this is narrated.

Haven't heard this legend.  If you find more
details about this, please share them.  Any
references?  Thanks in advance.

> Could this taking of Potalaka occur in any of the follow-ups
> on the Journey to the West? Does any ofthe Xiyou bu (supplement to
> the Westward journey), Hou Xiyou ji (Later record of the
> Westward journey), Xu Xiuou ji (Sequel to the Westward journey)
> speak of the carrying of Potalaka? Do the follow ups
> of the Westward journey exist in English translation?

A rather boring work called "Tower of Myriad Mirrors"
does exist in English translation.  Nothing in there
about the above legend.

> "Monkey turned and somersaulted off into his loud and in less than
> a half hour he came in sight of the Southern Ocan and saw Mount
> Potalaka rise up before him".

Nowadays in China, "Potalaka" is firmly identified with
Putuo Shan, a mountain and small island off the coast
near Shanghai and Taiwan in the East China Sea.  It
is considered one of the "four sacred mountains" of
Chinese Buddhism.  Pilgrims and tourists go there.

FYI,

Raja.