Query

Girish Beeharry gkb at ICARUS.UOM.AC.MU
Tue Sep 22 15:02:50 UTC 1998

Hi,

As you may know the navaraatrii (religious ceremonies for
goddess durgaa) has started with the new moon. I have been
looking at some of the available texts for the durgaasaptashaTii
(or chaNDii) and I am bewildered by the variants in the shlokas.
As example, I have seen three different 'versions' of both the
argalaastotra and the kiilakamantra! I haven't looked at the
kavacha or the text proper in any detail yet. Metrically, the
differing shlokas seem ok.

My rather naive questions are: Is this 'normal'? Has anyone who
has worked with the mss seen many variants? Is there any
critical edition of the text?

Many thanks beforehand for your help.

Bye,

Girish Kumar Beeharry