avajja

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Sep 7 12:55:54 UTC 1998

One may also note the special treatment of avadya according to Panini
3.1.101 (avadyapaNyavaryA garhyapaNitavyAnirodheSu).  Only in the sense of
garhya can one have the form avadya, while in other contexts, the form
will be anudya.  This means that according to Panini the form avadya was
not a normal negative of -vadya, but a formation to be understood on its
own, a nipAtana (see the KAzikAvRtti on this rule).  In Sanskrit usage too
one generally finds the contrast between anavadya and avadya, rather than
between avadya and vadya.
                                        Madhav Deshpande