Punjab Hut

Tobias Ghosh-Beverborg grotebev at UNI-KOELN.DE
Thu Sep 3 03:33:22 UTC 1998

Dear List-members,
perhaps some of you could help?
Please, send copies of your reply to me, too.
Dr. Andrews is a faculty member in the Department of Cultural Anthropology
at the University of Cologne, Germany.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter-Alford Andrews <Peter.Andrews at uni-koeln.de>

Dear Tobias
   I have a question you may be able to answer through your Indian
connections.

 There is a particular type of hut which is shown frequently in
miniatures, especially those from the Punjab Hills.

It is round in plan, domed and has an arched doorway. In general it is
somewhat egg-shaped. It often has a top-knot at the apex, apparently
where the reeds which make up its walls are tied together, and often has
binding lines running around the periphery horizontally, one above the
other up to the top.
   I would like to know
a. whether the type still exists, and if so where,
b. if it has a standard name,
c. whether it has an internal framework or not.
   The earliest representations are in the Gandhara sculptures from the
general direction of Swat, and there are also connections with Central
Asia, which is why it interests me.