epic marriage

S Krishna mahadevasiva at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 1 14:37:07 UTC 1998

the wedding between Arjuna and Subhadra, Georg Von simson says:

 You may be right that the introduction of Kuntibhoja in
>the story was meant to make the case more acceptable. But, as you point
>out, arjuna and subhadrA were still third cousins, and their marriage,
as
>far as I can see, not acceptable according to dharmazAstra.

  My "prazna" on  this: Since Subhadra was "kidnapped" for the wedding
by Arjuna, do the DharmazAstra rules apply strictly? As my understanding
goes, the bride was always blameless in case of a "forced" marriage and
the rules governing "forced" marriages were different from that of
arranged marriages; so can the conventional rules be invoked for a
special case like this?
Regards,
Krishna