Ramayana comparisons

Vielle Christophe vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Fri Oct 9 14:33:24 UTC 1998

>Does anyone know of comparative studies (book or article) of the Ramayana
>and the Odyssey? The Ramayana and King Arthur? I know of Gregory Alles work
>on the Iliad and the Ramayana.
>
>Any information will be most appreciated.
>
>John Grimes
>MSU

On the sublject, there was also a comparison between the Iliad and the
Ramayana by an Indian scholar in the beginning of the '80, now published as
a book, but not very valuable according to me.
The best comparisons are made by the Oxonian anthropologist Nick Allen in
various articles.
See also Christophe VIELLE, Le mytho-cycle héroïque dans l'aire
indo-européenne: correspondances et transformations helléno-aryennes,
Louvain-la-Neuve, 1996, Publications de l'Institut orientaliste de Louvain
46 (in a non-dumezilian, and non "proto-"Indo-European, perspective: review
in the last JRAS).
There are much more to compare between the story of Rama and the Heracles
cycle!

Christophe Vielle