Fwd: tt

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 8 01:44:31 UTC 1998

Prof. P. Claus wrote on 3/5/98 for which an interesting parallel
from Tamilnadu:

In the Kongunadu region, Pandarams are the non-brahman priests
tending to the village goddesses (Mariyamman, BhadrakALi, ..)
They are Viirasaivaites and I think there is a paper by Brenda Beck
on them- okacanti jangama paNDaarams (can get the ref. later).
Beck studied the Kongu oral epic, aNNanmAr katai like what
G. Roghair did Andhra.

On Sivaratri night called 'paLLayam', and next day is 'tombaram'
in BhadrakaaLi temples. The temple jewelry stays in
the village headman's house year long in a box (peTTige of Claus)
wrapped in red cloth. On Sivaratri night, the 'box' is taken to
Kali's temple. Inside the box, few necklaces, the 'taali'
maangalya suutram, a face, chest, legs, hands, a trident vEl,
a small umbrella - all in silver/gold. The box is opened
only in the temple and only once a year.

The next day, men take 20 to 30 huge vEls ('spears'  about 10 feet
high) along with priest, other folks to a nearby river, wash them,
decorate them with garlands, kumkum, lemons, etc.,
The paNDaaram gets frenzy, utters shaman-like sayings on
rain, crops, why the goddess needs a big temple, future
prospects of villagers, ... He throws the cast iron
arrow-bow few times to his back. The arrow piercings bleed,
people spray vibhuuti on those wounds. He gets back to
normalcy from this 'veRiyaaTTu' after a while.

He then uses leaves, garlands, and all the Goddess'
body parts (from the box) and a pot to create a lovely little-girl
like image. The deity's image in the pot is carried back on his head
to the temple surrounded by trees. More alamkAram is done in the
temple (all dismantled after that day). There is  public feasting.

Hope some like Drs. N. Vanamaamalai, Richard Brubaker, P. Claus,
... write more on substratum religion of South India. Eagerly
looking for the future book on Mariyamman by Dr. W. Harman.
Like the excellent study of Draupadi amman worship by Vanniyar
by Prof. Hiltebeitel.

Regards,
N. Ganesan