some op/old books on India & British India

Asian Rare Books arbs at EROLS.COM
Fri Oct 2 12:32:06 UTC 1998

>         some op books on India and British-India, etc.
>
> ASIAN RARE BOOKS    175 W. 93 Street(16-D),  New York, N.Y. 10025-9344  USA
>    FAX 1-212-316-3408    PHONE  1-212-316-5334  Business by appointment
>         website  http://www.erols.com/arbs/     email: arbs at erols.com
>
>1.  Reginald Heber: Narrative of A Journey Through the Upper Provinces of India, FromCalcutta to Bombay, 1824-1825(With Notes Upon Ceylon), An Account of a Journey to Madras and the Southern Provinces, 1826, and Letters Written in India. London: John Murray 1829. Fourth Ed. 3 vols.  Woodcut illustrations. Occasional light foxing, bit o f creasing but a good set in later three-quarters leather and boards some discolor. Few  early author signatures. Few pages a bit loose.           $ 275.00
>
>2.  W. Crooke: The Popular Religion and Folk-Lore of Northern India. Westminster 1896. 2 vols. Plates. Internally good and clean with a few owner stamps, bookplates  or signatures. Cloth is very worn, spines crudely taped and  much chipped, with one cover loose.     $ 75.00
>
>3.  John Clark Marshman: The Life and Times of Carey, Marshman, and Ward Embracing the History of the Serampore Mission. London: Longman, Brown, Green 1859. 2 vols. Grease stain running along margins of some pages of one volume; few rough edges or tears at endpapers. Foredges darkened, somewhat soiled. Ownership signature, stamps, bookplates of Canning. Withal a good, quite clean set in  somewhat rubbed cloth, inner hinges cracking with some repair, chipping at spines. Quite scarce.    $ 375.00
>
>4.  Capt. J.T. Newall: Hog Hunting in the East, And Other Sports. London: Tinsley 1867. Illust.(one plate lacking). Generally minor scattered soiling, some light foxing, few margin tears. Signatures at endpaper, bookplate.  Original blue cloth worn and somewhat discolored.   $ 90.00
>

>5.  William Rice: "Indian Game" (From Quail to Tiger). London Allen 1884. 12 chromolithos. Few small tears, bit of minor creasing else a good, clean copy. Slight wear to embossed cloth.    $ 250.00
>

>6. Lieut. John Wood: A Letter to Major-General Sir Archibald Galloway..of the East India Company, on the Navigation of the Indus river. For Private Circulation. London: Lewis and Son 1849. Disbound 39pp. pamphlet some  minor creasing, some extreme corners of a few pages chipped away. Good. Sgined on title Sir John Hobhouse.       $ 50.00
>

>7.  (British Gov’t) Report of the Debates in the House of Commons Upon the Tenth, Fifteenth, and Eighteenth Days of July 1806. London 1806.  Disbound . 127pp. booklet. Some minor foxing, creasing.   $ 47.50
>
>8.  Shipwrecks and  Adventures of Captain Donald Campbell in the East Indies; Including His Imprisonment, by Hyder Alli’s Troops, and His Escape from Death
London nd  Disbound 35pp. booklet. Some foxing, generally minor stains.  Some puncture holes along blank gutter margin. A bit of the printing is faint. Withal a nice copy.    $ 40.00

>9.  Adventures of Captain  James Thompson, In the Northern Circars of India, Where He Officiated as Judge Advocate and Chaplain.. L. nd Disbound 36pp. booklet. Scattered soiling or foxing, but withal nice.    $ 40.00
>
>10.  Major John Scott: The Conduct of His Majesty’s Late Ministers Considered, As it Affected The East- India Company and Mr. Hastings. London: Debrett 1784. 90pp. Disbound booklet.    $ 75.00
>
>11.  We Have Been All in the Wrong; Or, Thoughts Upon the Dissolution of the Late, And  Conduct of the Present Parliament, and Upon Mr. Fox’s East-India Bills. London: Debrett  1785. 70pp. disbound booklet. Some marginal worming. Penned name at title.    $ 45.00
>
>12.  The Substance of the Speech of Mr. Joseph Hume, At The East-India House, on the 6th of October 1813 Upon the Motion for an Increase of the Salaries to the Directors of the East-India Company..London 1814. Ix., 47pp. Disbound booklet.     $ 50.00
>
>13.  [James Johnson,  R.N.]: An Account of a Voyage to India, China, &c. in His Majesty’s Ship Caroline, Perfrorned in the Years 1803-4-5..By An Officer of the Caroline.  London 1806. Fold. map  loose with light foxing. Ex-lib. disbound. Clean.[Lust 375]    $ 60.00
>
>14.  Mrs. Hofland: The Young Cadet: or Henry Delamere’s Voyage to India, His Travels in Hindostan. His Account of the Burmese War and the Wonders of Ellora. New York 1828. Duodecimo. Illust. Scattered moderate foxing or soiling,  few marginal tears. Worn  half leather and boards.     $ 50.00
>
>15.  George F. Atkinson: Indian Spices for English Tables. Rare Relish of Fun from the Far East. Being the Adventures of Our Special Correspondent In India.. London: Day & Son  1860. Oblong Quarto.  Many Figures. Lithograph title page. This is a decent reading copy, the pages being loose and either lightly or some even moderately foxed. Some rough edges. Worn decorated boards.    $ 125.00
>
>16.  Indian Christians Biographical and Critical Sketches. Madras: Natesan & Co. nd  Illust. Disbound in loose chipped boards but internally complete and clean. Tears at few lower corners.    $ 15.00
>
>17.  George Trumbill Ladd: Intimate Glimpses of Life in India
in the Winter of 1899-1900. Boston  1919. Illust. Some rough edges. Siganture at endpaper.                                     $ 22.50