Questions on word-final vowels in Sanskrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Nov 25 11:34:38 UTC 1998

One possibility to consider is that Sanskrit words passed into Tamil
through their somewhat Prakrit-like pronunciation.  In many Prakrits, the
nominative singular of Sanskrit (masc.) words in -a ends in -o.  This o
vowel is often reduced to u.  One can see this already in Buddhist Hybrid
Sanskrit continuing all the way into Old Marathi of JnAnezvar in the 13th
century A.D.
                                        Madhav Deshpande