SV: Neo-Sanskrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Nov 17 13:37:52 UTC 1998

Dear Folks,

I found certain typographical mistakes in my previous version of the RSS
Sanskrit prayer.  Here is the corected version.  Another historical note
about Pt. N.N. Bhide, the author of the poem.  While Pt. Bhide did compose
this poem, later he was not actively associated with the RSS.  He became a
dedicated follower of the yogic/devotional tradition of Narasimha
SarasvatI (believed to be an incarnation of DattAtreya) in ALandI near
Pune. Throughout my association with him, from 1961 onwards, I did not
detect any political interests in him till his passing a few years ago.
The religious texts which he insisted upon were the gaNeza-atharvazIrSa
and the viSNusahasranAma.  He was a great Sanskrit teacher, and both Ashok
Aklujkar and I loved him dearly.  We have now set up a Sanskrit
scholarship fund in Maharashtra in his name.
                                                Madhav Deshpande