On fertility, old Kurds, and sheep

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Thu Nov 12 14:19:50 UTC 1998

>Artur Karp <hart at POLBOX.COM> wrote:
>
>>2) Even if Turan were a fertility goddess and her name's morphological
>>structure were tur-an, it doesn't follow that her name must mean
>>"fertility" [in fact, the meaning of her name is thought to be something
>>closer to "Dispenseress" - which may agree with her nymphic (Aphrodite,
>>Venus) nature;
>
>Yes, Etruscan <tur-> is "to give".  There is possibly a connection
>with Pre-Greek <turannos> "king, tyrant", which would fit the Minoan
>"palace economy" rather well (the king being the one who gives, or
>rather, redistributes).  Whether that makes Venus/Turan the
>"Dispenseress" or "Tyrant Love", I don't know.
>Miguel Carrasquer Vidal

Dear Miguel,
        Highly dubious.
1) we know many titles in Mycenian (qasireu > basileus; wanaka > anax;
rawaketa > lagetas, &c.), but never turannos.
2) the only God who receives the title turannos in Greece is Ares, in
Homeric Hymn to Ares (v.5); the context "antibioisi (dative plural) turanne
(vocative)", where antibios is "ennemy, adversary", properly "who opposes
the strength to the strength" (Greek bia: = Ved. jyA), excludes any
"peaceful" meaning of the word turannos.
        Hence, the old idea Turan~turannos is commonly rejected by
hellenists (cf. Chantraine, DELG, sv). I recall that Aphrodite is the
Goddess of love and sex(*), and She never gives other gifts nor births.
Obviously, you can suppose that Turan is different, but that's never showed
on etruscan mirrors and remains just a supposition. Even if Etruscan tur-
is "to give" (could you give me the ref, please), Artur's remark remains
valid.
        Best regards,
Dominique

(*) sorry, Pr. Hubey, but I know many poor peoples who, despite an empty
belly, make love, and who like that. Greeks knew well that nobody (even the
Gods) escapes from the Goddess ;-)

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France