FritS Staal on meaning of ritual, 2

Jan E.M. Houben JHOUBEN at PCMAIL.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Nov 12 12:04:05 UTC 1998

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Axel Michaels wrote:
>> I'm looking for substantial criticism on Fritz Staal's theory on the
>> meaning of rituals. By substantial I mean elaborate articles or books.

Further e.g.:
Witzel, Michael 1992: "Meaningful Ritual. Vedic, Medieval and Contemporary
Concepts in the Nepalese Agnihotra Ritual."
Pp. 774-827 in: Ritual, State and History in South Asia. Essays in Honour of
J.C. Heesterman, ed. by A.W. v.d. Hoek, D.H.A. Kolff, M.S. Oort, Leiden:
Brill.
Heesterman, J.C. The broken world of Sacrifice, pp. 1-4. Chicago Univ. Press,
1993.

An anthropological reaction is further found in Michael Houseman and Carlo
Severi's Back to Naven: a relational approach to ritual action (reworked
English version of Naven ou le donner a voir: essai d'interpretation de
l'action rituelle, to appear with Brill, Leiden). Part III contains elaborate
theoretical considerations which take Staal's theory (among others) into
account.

JH