Paired Horse and PIE breakup

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Mon Nov 9 23:17:52 UTC 1998

Narayan S. Raja wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Mani Varadarajan wrote:
>
> > Paul Kekai Manansala wrote:
> > > Wait a minute, Manu commands pouring molten lead into the ears of Sudras
> > > who dared listen to the Vedas!
>
> Are historical instances known, say
> within the last 1500-2000 years (or
> any time at all), when this was
> actually done?
>
> Just curious, and wishing to know the
> facts rather than the rhetoric,

Actually this was meant as a humorous retort to Ganesan's comments
on nomadic peoples.

> From a serious standpoint, there is no reason to surmise that Indian
peoples are any less violent than those of the steppe. Just look at the
abhorrent violence in Sri Lanka or in Northeast India today. And I don't
think anyone can deny that there is a great deal of caste violence that
still goes on today, although I haven't heard of anyone getting the
molten lead treatment.

> From the historical standpoint, I don't see Indian history as any less
inclined to warfare than other regions despite the doctrine of ahimsa.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala