FYI---[Fwd: African ancestors of Ural-Altay peoples]

H.M.Hubey hubeyh at MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sun Nov 8 00:06:08 UTC 1998

H. M. Hubey wrote:

> This if from McEvedy. I wonder if anyone can direct me to books from
> which this knowledge is apparently/allegedly derived.

> Anthropologists recognize four distinct sub-Saharan populations:
> Negroes, Nilo-Saharans, Pygmies, and San. The Negroes' original homeland
> was the forest and bush country of West Africa: they were, and are, big,
> black-skinned and broad-nosed. The Nilo-Saharans are also big and black,
> but noticeably thinner in both the body and face: at the time of this
> map, they were probably confined to the Middle Third of the Nile Valley
> and the area immediately round it. The rest of sub-Saharan Africa (bar
> the Horn) was divided between the Pygmies and the San. The Pygmies'
> habitat is the rain forest of the Zaire basin. They are really small
> ...; their skin is brown to black, their noses broad and their hair
> scanty. The San are bigger without being big and yellow rather than
> brown or black; their hair grows in tufts that give it a characteristic
> 'peppercorn' look. Now they are confined the Kalahari desert in the
> south-west of the continent, but at the time we are talking of they had
> the whole eastern and southern Africa to themselves.
>
> Africa north of the Sahara was part of the wider world and inhabited by
> people descended from the 'out of Africa' contingent.The group they
> belonged to includes Semites of Arabia and other parts of the Middle
> East and is referred to by linguists as Afro-Asiatic: the African
> (Hamitic) members are Berber (spoken in the Maghreb], Coptic, and
> Cushitic.

Best Regards,
Mark
hubeyh at montclair.edu =-=-=-= http://www.csam.montclair.edu/~hubey
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
material  from any computer.