Paired Horse and PIE breakup

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Sat Nov 7 07:20:56 UTC 1998

H.M.Hubey wrote:
>That is also false. Romans called the Etruscans Tusci/Tursi. Turan was
>a fertility goddes of Etruscans. Remarkably, /tuw/ is the root for
>birth and begetting in Turkic.

        Just a remark. The few we know about the Goddess Turan shows that
She is the Etruscan equivalent of the Latin Venus and the Greek Aphrodite
and nothing else. Hence, surely not a "fertility Goddess"! Assuming a link
between Turan and "birth and begetting" shows the same flimsiness than,
phonetically, between 'tur' and 'tuw'.
        Best regards,
Dominique

PS: The confusion between love and fertility is probably a common idea in
some monotheistic religions, but Greeks and Romans made a clear difference
between the both ;-)

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France