Paired Horse and PIE breakup

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Tue Nov 3 18:47:33 UTC 1998

N. Ganesan wrote:

> The lower limit of Anthony's breakup date is 2000 B.C.
> When I think of 1) the parallels of horse slaughter in
> Vedic India and the distant Rome and 2) the archaeological date
> (2000 B.C.) for chariotry's beginnings, that also points to
> the same PIE breakup date (may be 2500 B.C., may be
> as late as 2000 B.C.)
>
> Any comments, please?

The big problem is that the spread of ritual or technology doesn't
necessarily coincide with mass migrations of people. Take, for example,
the presence of Islam in Indonesia, or Tibetan Buddhism in the United
States.

Let's consider the cuneiform inscriptions of Persia.  Are these part of
the same migrations that brought the Vedic peoples to India?  If so,
why don't they have a script similar to that used with Sanskrit?  Did
they ever have such a script?

If we accept that the Ashokan and related scripts came from the
"Middle East" and are related to Phoenician-type scripts, how did these
vault over to India and when?  And if Vedic peoples came from Ural and
Caucasus mountain region (or the Caspian-Aral one) how did they come
about using a phonetic script rather than cuneiform (given a lower
limit of 2000 BCE for the PIE breakup).

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala