Kannada vacanas

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji swamiji at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri May 29 14:11:30 UTC 1998

1.  There is NO usage like "kUDalasangadEva" or "kappaDisangadEva" or "sangadEva" in Kannada.  You can either say "kUDalasangama-dEva" or "kUDalasanga" or "sangama-dEva".

2.  The author of "Basava Purana" in Kannada is "Bhima Kavi".  It is not a translation of Palkurike Somanatha's Basava Purana in Telugu but is an independent work based on the latter.

3.  The Telugu Basava Purana of Palkurike Somatha is translated into Kannada by a noted Kannada scholar Dr P V Narayana.  The book is published by our Ashram in the year 1982.

<<If there is some body on the list who has the
kannaDa version of basavapurANa I will be very happy
if they check there.>>

4.  You have rightly guessed.  No need to check any Basava Purana for the use of the word "Sanga" as a noun.  It is used by BasavaNNa himself in his Vacanas addressing God:

"sangaa, nimma tottutanakke duuravayyaa"  (Vacana 434)
"sangaa, nimmanu puujisi bhavageTTenu naanayyaa"  (Vacana 521)

5.  The word "sanga" is also used as a proper name by persons of Virashaiva tradition whether male or female.Examples:   Male names:  Sangappa, Sangayya,
Female names: Sangamma, Sangavva,

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji
Sri Taralabalu Jagadguru Brihanmath   * Taralabalu Kendra
Sirigere - 577 541, Karnataka, India     * 3rd Main Road, 2nd Block
Email: swamiji at giasbg01.vsnl.net.in     * RT Nagar, Bangalore - 560 032