Sarasvati: sa_gara, samudra; 'cults' and meanings

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 28 21:36:08 UTC 1998

hi,

How about 'device' as an alternative? Primarily because, the motif is
also used independently as a field symbol and in some tablets is shown
being carried on the shoulder of a person. Of course, it is integrally
linked with the 'one-horned heifer or bull' (or 'unicorn'). Note how
Dr. Sharan calls it a rhinoceros!

Regards,
k.

---Lakshmi Srinivas <lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> ---"S. Kalyanaraman" <kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> >

> > On another note, see how archaeologists can do better than the
> > lexicographers? Sir John Marshall uses the term 'cult object' and
> > every analyst thereafter gets trapped in the lead. The only 'cult'
> > evidence we seem to find is the emergence and stabilisation of a
> > bronze-age culture, apart from burnt bricks.
> >

> Almost all the writers on the subject use this term. It is a
> convenient working name for the object while one theorizes about
> it.However if you were to propose a better term for it, I would be
> happy to use it.
>
> Warm Regards.
> ==
> Lakshmi Srinivas

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)