'Religion' in IVC: painted pheasant on urns

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 28 00:20:52 UTC 1998

Hi,

Prof. Witzel had referred to the funerary urns in an earlier posting.

Some typical scenes painted on the pottery include a pheasant.

As I was running through the Indian lexicon entries I am working on
for the website, I found the following:

ji_van-ji_vaka, ji_vaji_vaka, ji_vaji_vaka
onom. name of a bird, a sort of pheasant (or partridge?) which utters
a note sounding like ji_van ji_va; ji_vanji_ven.a gacchai
ji_vanji_venan cit.t.hai [Jain phrase translated as: 'living he goes
with life' or 'he goes like the bird?'] (Pali.lex.) jion the tailor
bird; jian., jiam id., orthotomus sutorius, so called from its note
(Santali.lex.) chin.agi_ a kind of partridge; chi_n. chi_n. a scream,
a shriek (P.lex.)

I will just leave this entry for review/comment, without jumping into
further analysis or language problem at this time.

Reards,
k.

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)