Sarasvati (texts & arch.II)

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed May 27 12:52:52 UTC 1998

>> Mass migrations are not usually forgotten by people.  We should not
>> have to thread together tidbits if the Vedic peoples really did
>> migrate from all the way from the Volga.  All of this should be very
>> clearly spelled out.
>
>"Are not usually forgotten" -- a sweeping statement. We need details. - As
>I said, I have supplied such data in Erdosy 1995. No need to repeat myself
>again.  My fingers are tired by now.  And Parpola has done so for 2
>decades or so.

I had decided I wouldn't but in, but here goes anyway:

We know that migrations are forgotten. Examples:

1) The migration of Indians from the Amazonas area to the West Indies was
forgotten, they had created a new myth of origins by the time the Europeans
came into contact with them.

2) Germanic tribes seem to have penetrated Norway about 800 BC. There is, to
the best of my knowledge, no memory of this migration.

3) I believe, but correct me if I am wrong, that the Aztecs were in the
process of forgetting their migration from up north when they were
"discovered" by the Europeans. They were busy constructing  a new myth of
origins while still having memories of their long trip in the wilderness
(which lasted, I think, for a couple of centuries).

4) The Romans had no memory of their migration into Italy. They thought that
their "founding father" Romulus came from Troy.

(Sources for 1) and 3) are TV programs, which is why I can't give you more
precise details).

Is there a memory of the migration Japanese to Japan? The theory "are not
usually forgotten" could easily be tested on people that migrate to islands.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,