Sarasvati (texts & arch.II)

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 26 13:46:09 UTC 1998

---Roland Steiner <steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE> wrote:

> Let me just add the following bibliographical note:
> For the meaning of samudra in Vedic texts, see also:
> -- Konrad Klaus: "samudr� im Veda", in: XXIII. Deutscher
> Orientalistentag ... Ausgewaehlte Vortraege. Hrsg. von Einar von
> Schuler. Stuttgart 1989. = Zeitschrift der Deutschen
> Morgenlaendischen Gesellschaft. Supplement VII. pp. 364-371.> --
Konrad Klaus: "Die Wasserfahrzeuge im vedischen Indien" (�Water >
Vehicles in Vedic India�). Stuttgart 1989 (Akademie der Wissenschaften
> und der Literatur, Mainz. Abhandlungen der geistes- und >
sozialwissenschaftlichen Klasse. 1989. No. 13.). esp. pp. 20-26. > By
means of a precise investigation of the relevant texts Klaus > comes
to the conclusion that samudra in several Vedic passages does
> not designate the ocean, but a broad stream formed by the union of >
two or more rivers.

> Roland Steiner

Would deeply appreciate info. on how we can get an English translation
of this posted on the web or this mailing list. It will be nice to
have the textual investigations backed up by ground surveys.

Geologically, the Sindh-Kutch area is a very complex area. What we see
today are salty marshes in the Large and the Little Ranns of Kutch and
also some marshes around the Gulf of Khambat. The sites of IVC in this
area are remarkable considering the possibility that the region was
not as hostile for supporting settlements of metal- and
lapidary-workers. One theory is that the Nara/Mihran flowed through
the Nal lake south of the Little Rann. (Nara/Mihran flowing parallel
to the Sindhu about 300 kms. east of Sindhu). Add to this the gulfs
around the Ranns, there was perhaps a confluence of two mighty streams
and the gulf-streams. (Not to forget the added problem of raising of
the ocean levels submerging areas such as Bet Dwaraka ca. 1500 B.C.
See the Indian marine archaeology website.)

Another theory (undated) is that the entire saura_s.t.ra (including
the Ranns) was an island providing for direct navigation from Kotda to
Lothal on the Nara/Mihran extended stream, explaining other sites such
as Rojdi.

Regards,
k.

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)