Sarasvati (texts & arch.III)

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at WXS.NL
Mon May 25 04:42:47 UTC 1998

Michael,

Just two questions off-list.

You write, on the IE [?]-strate in Mitanni Hurrian:
>This is useful, as it pushes back the date of the preceding *Indo-Iranian*
>cultural and linguistic period a bit (to what? 2000 BC, 2500 BC. Nobody
>knows.) Only an (unlikely) early inscription or archaeology combined with
>linguistics (chariots) may provide the dates.

Am I to interpret that as that you agree with me that the IE element
in Mitanni Hurrian is *Indo-Iranian* not necessarily Indo-Aryan
(after all, Proto-Indo-Iranian "1" may have been *aika, right?)?

>Anyhow, the later strata of the RV must be before 1200 BC. and the upper
>limit is supplied by the breakdown of the Indus civilization, the parallel
>info from the Mitanni, the dating of the first spoke-wheeled,
>*horse*-drawn race/war chariots (with 2 wheels)  around 2000 BC together
>with its IIr designation (cakra), and one can add the breakdown of the
>Bactrian civ. etc. --- all of which points to the 2d millennium and not
>the 3rd or earlier.

What does "Bactrian civilization" refer to exactly?  I suspect the
area of urban settlememts along the Amu Darya (Shortugai, Namazga)
all the way to Shah Tepe etc. on the Caspian, but I'm not familiar
with the term.

Greetings,

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl