Sarasvati (texts & arch.II)

Sun May 24 17:37:35 UTC 1998

>> Isn't it quite clear from linguistic tradition that samudra means
>> ocean.  Clearly it does not mean a regular lake or desert.  A very
large
>> lake could be confused with the ocean, but do any of these rivers
>> empty into large lakes?
>
>My suggestion: Do the investigation, then we ca talk. Also see R.
>Zydenbos' example. And a lot more, plus the saagara "ocean"  often
>indicating lakes nowadays !

To Zydenbos's example, add a number of village names in the Tirunelveli
region of Tamil Nadu, e.g. ambAsamudram, gopAlasamudram, ravaNasamudram
.... There isn't even any substantial incidence of lakes in this region.
And there is the important historical site of dvArasamudra, in Karnataka
again.

Vidyasankar