A question on Jain temples

Anand Nayak Anand.Nayak at UNIFR.CH
Sun May 24 09:32:51 UTC 1998

Last February I assisted at the jain centre at Sravanabelgola a puja
performed by rahmin priests  at the feet of Bahubali. The priests told me
that they were brahmins of tantric traditions and were performing this puja
daily at the request of the Jain Mutt. The brahmin priests perform the
abhisekas of the Jain Thirthankaras. You could get more information from a
Jain source person who welcomed our study groupe:Mrs. Babitha Pramod kumar
<prakir at giasbga.vsnl.net.in>.

Anand NAYAK

>Yes, they are (ARE, in coastal Karnataka, at least, where there are many
>active Jain temples [basadi]) called Indras.
>
>Peter Claus
>

>On Sat, 23 May 1998, Palaniappa wrote:
>
>> In the worshipping rituals of Jain temples of South India, were there any
>> intermediaries like brahmin priests? Who administered these temples? Lay
>> persons or monks or other intermediaries?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards
>> S. Palaniappan

Sarvesham svastirbhavatu        May all be prosperous
sarvesham santirbhavatu         May all be  peaceful
sarvesham purnambhavatu         May all be whole
sarvesam mangalambhavatu        May all be happy

INSTITUT DE MISSIOLOGIE ET DE SCIENCE DES RELIGIONS
INSTITUT FUER MISSIONS- UND RELIGIONSWISSENSCHAFTEN
Université de Fribourg
Route du Jura
CH-1700 Fribourg
Tel:    026/ 300 74 38 (Office)