South India geography

jayabarathi barathi at PC.JARING.MY
Fri May 22 07:16:25 UTC 1998

At 11:06 PM 5/21/98 PDT, you wrote:
>I am reading a small poem in which a number of south Indian place names
>are given. Where are the following places? Could some list member give
>corresponding modern names?
>
>1. mahAsurAlaya (in Kerala) - is this Sucindram?
>2. anantaSayana (in Kerala) - Travancore?
>3. darbhaSayana (in TN) - is this near Ramesvaram?

                It is near Rameswaram. It is to the north of
        Ramanathapuram. There is a place called Devipattinam.
        The sea-front in this place is known as Dharbha Sayanam.
        As you would have guessed, it is associated with Rama.
        Just before crossing the sea, Rama is said to have
`       done a penance and as an associated ritual, he is
        said to have lain on a spread of Dharbha grass.

        Regards

        Jayabarathi