IVC/Indo-Aryans

Edwin Bryant ebryant at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue May 19 02:57:27 UTC 1998

On Sun, 17 May 1998, George Thompson wrote:

> As far as I can tell, what this logic amounts to is simply a "just say
no"
> strategy, But we are scholars, for whom such a "just say no" policy is
> completely unacceptable.
> as such we should be dealing with *evidence*, and not simply the lack of
> such.

It's not quite true, George, that the Indig. Aryan school has just pursued
a "just say no policy."  THere have been two pieces of 'positive' evidence
pertaining to the IVC/I-A connection that have often been brought forward
for whatever they are worth: a variety of reports of fire altars, most
especially at Kalibhangan, and the evidence of the 'Sarasvati.'  In my
opinion, the identification of these so-called fire altars  is not
compelling (although these were accepted by the Allchins) and so this
issue is not worth while discussing.  But the Sarasvati evidence is more
complex and does merit attention.

I have papers to finish grading and will be leaving town, but I would be
happy to discuss the evidence of the 'Sarasvati' upon returning if there
is interest.   Best,  Edwin