prayojana -- modification

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sun May 17 22:43:12 UTC 1998

At 06:42 PM 5/17/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello List-members again:
>
>In my previous post requesting information on the prayojana of a treatise,
>I erroneously stated that I was especially interested in the purpose of the
>purpose (prayojanasya pryojanam). In fact, what I am more interested in are
>debates concerning the purpose of *stating* the purpose
>(prayojanakathanasya prayojanam). In other words, why is it necessary to
>state the purpose at the beginning of a treatise?
>
>Regards,
>Sara McClintock
>____________________
>
>Sara McClintock
>Section de langues et civilisations orientales
>Université de Lausanne
>email: Sara.McClintock at orient.unil.ch

prayOjanam anuddizya na mandOpi pravartatE   -  mahAbhASya of pataJjali

Even a fool does not act without a purpose ( because without purpose
there is no motivation to act).

There is a good discussion there.

regards,

sarma.