Horses/Indus seals

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 18 02:51:27 UTC 1998

---George Thompson <thompson at JLC.NET> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the last great hope for the Indigenous Aryan
thesis> is that we will *never* decipher the IVC script [if that is
what it is],

And Michael WItzel wrote:

>All of which Archaeologists ( the late W. Fairservis), >and now
M.Kenoyer in his recent book: Ancient Cities >of the Indis
Cvilization,Oxford (Karachi) 1998) have >often treated as clan signs.
(And jointfigures, with >multiple heads, as clan alliances).

The following comments are offered on these two points:

1. A sound method for decipherment of the IVC script is close at hand.
Stay tuned for the website (which will be unravelled in a few weeks)
with the clusters of IVC inscriptions and clusters of lexemes of the
Indian languages. [I don't know if the indigenous hypothesis will
survive or not.]

2. Fairservis, Kenoyer and (also Heras) called them clan signs; but
what were the names of these clans or alternatively, what were these
animals called in the lingua franca of the civilization? Why are the
tiger and antelope depicted with their heads turned? Parpola notes
that there is even a squirrel depicted, apart from snakes and birds;
of course even hoofed, horned, tailed persons, not excluding 'sex'
scenes; and perhaps, a field-mouse. What is the svastika_; is it a
sign or a pictorial motif?

Regards,
Kalyanaraman.

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)