Aiyer

jayabarathi barathi at PC.JARING.MY
Sat May 16 11:33:37 UTC 1998

>Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:52:41 PDT
>

>Dr Jayabarathi,
>
>  how old are the palmyra records that are being refered to here...
>
>Regards,
>Krishna
>You wrote:
>>                But I have seen later palmyra records
>>        where  Smarthas are addressed as aiyar, ganapaadi,
>>        sAstri, and as Sarma.

        Dr.Krishna,

                They are around two hundred years old.
                I remember having coming across that word
        in the KIrththanais of the "NandhanAr Chariththirak
        kIrththanaikaL" composed by Gopala Krishna Bharathiyar
        during the early part of the 19th century.
                There is also an epigraphical record, listed in
        the Epigraphical Records of the Madras Presidency.
        It is No.139 of 1903. It is found on the south wall
        of kitchen belonging to the MangaiBAgEsWara Temple
        in Piranmalai of Sivaganga District. It is a mutilated
        record of the SALuva king Immadi Narasimha rAya in
        Saka 1422 Raudri. Records a gift for the merit of
        Tipparasar Ayyan.
                There is also another record in the same place
        dated Saka 1422 also mentioning Tipparasar Ayyan
        receiving grants of land from Eppuli NAyakkar.
                I have also seen a record which has never
        been copied. It was in a Sri Vaishnava temple in
        KAraiyur near Tiruppathur of Sivaganga District.
        This was also about a gift of land to Tipparasar
        Ayyan by Eppuli NAyakkar.
                Saka 1422 works out to 1500A.D.
                So we can surmise that the Aiyer epithet was
        already used for Brahmins in 1500A.D.

        Regards

        Jayabarathi