Panini

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Thu May 14 14:14:43 UTC 1998

"Siva occurs much before 6th century CE in tamil.
What you see in tamil is a mature, elaborate bhakti
texts on "Siva from 5th century onwards.
(eg., Cilappatikaaram, Karaikkaal Ammai are dated by many
scholars in 5th century CE. They have copiuos references to "Siva)

For Mayentiram, a tamilized form of Mahendra appearing
in Cambodia, see my post last month. It is recorded in
China in 484 AD.

For references on "Siva from classical sangam texts (200bc - 200ad),
I will compile & post for you after some time.

BTW, kantapurANam in 12th century CE is written by
kacciyappa civAccAriyAr, an adhisaiva priest. From adhisaiva homes,
the major saivagamas were found.

Regards,
N. Ganesan