PRE-COLUMBIAN MAIZE IN CHINA AND INDIA?

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Tue May 12 13:31:19 UTC 1998

At 13:41 12.05.98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear All
>
>Thought you might find this interesting!
>
>  -----------------------------------------------------
>  PRE-COLUMBIAN MAIZE IN CHINA AND INDIA?
>
>  The evidence of maize in archaeological sites in
>  China and its depiction in Hoysala Temples in India,
>  both dated before the 15th century A.D., suggests
>  that this domesticated crop was diffused by human
>  action before the arrival of Columbus in the New
>  World. The implications of this evidence are of
>  great magnitude, since the presence of maize in Asia
>  indicates that humans were able to migrate between
>  both hemispheres; more than likely through trans-
>  oceanic means of travel.
>  -----------------------------------------------------

This shouldn't really surprise anyone. Whatever we may think about the ideas
of Thor Heyerdal, he has proven beyond reasonable doubt that you can sail
almost anywhere in practically any kind of vessel. (I don't think he has
tried to do it in an old boot yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could
make that work too.)

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse